Hi,

the two rows in the contrast matrix cannot be identical - this is also
not the case in the tutorial example, please take a look there.

Actually, how does your current design matrix (X, not M) look like? A
contrast vector (or matrix) needs to have as many entries (or columns)
as there are columns in the design matrix, so I am wondering why there
are just six - and what their order / meaning is.

Remember that a contrast vector (or row of a contrast matrix) will
create a linear combination of the estimated model parameters. The
contrast will reflect a specific hypothesis that is then evaluated for
statistical significance. Assuming that the first column of X is the
intercept, and the second one is time, it seems that you are currently
combining these two regressors in a single contrast. I do not think
that this has a meaningful interpretation.

One possible misunderstanding, but I'm speculating here, is that the
contrast vector (or matrix) is not supposed to be used to indicate
which effects are random.

Best,

Kersten