External Email - Use Caution

Hi Guodong,

On Di, 2019-10-22 at 16:05 +0800, Liu Guodong wrote:
>         External Email - Use Caution
>
> Hello FreeSurfer Developers,
>
> I'm doing the LME tutorial, and I have some questions .
>
> 1. Why don’t we need to put the healthy controls in the designed
> matrix X?

Because that would be mathematically redundant, given the intercept and
the other group regressors.

In general, one chooses a reference group (in this case, controls), and
this group is implicitly modeled (by the intercept). The other group
regressors will then model the difference between that particular group
and the reference group.

> 2. What’s the interpretation of the first row of the contrast matrix
> [1 0 0 0 0], does it mean first group minus healthy group?

I assume that we are talking about the first example, i.e. the simple
univariate case (not mass-univariate).

Just to be precise, the first row of the contrast matrix would be
[ 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0], right?

The fourth regressor (which this contrasts tests) is "colum 3 * time",
i.e. the interaction between the first group and time. This would
indicate to which extent the slope across time in this group is
different from the slope of the reference group.

> 3. There is a pvalue and a vector sgn from the result of F-test, I
> know the interpretation of the sgn, but I don’t know the hypothesis
> of the pvalue, could you please help me with that?

Strictly speaking, we test (and try to reject) the null hypothesis that
the  parameter estimate (or a linear combination of parameter
estimates) is zero.

Best regards,

Kersten