Lars,

Since this question has come up a few times I'm going to write up a nice
wiki article on it explaining the differences between letting someone in via
an ACL and actually doing digest authentication. In a nutshell, though, it's
this: if the user does digest authentication (with the whole REGISTER, 401,
REGISTER, 200 OK exchange) then whatever value is in user_context is the
context for the calls made by that user. In conf/directory/default/1000.xml
(and 1001.xml, etc.) they all have user_context = "default" so when those
users register the calls they make are handled in the default context. OTOH,
if you let a user in via an ACL they aren't really registered, you've simply
opened the door for anyone coming from a particular IP address or IP address
range. In that case the calls are handled in the context specified by the
context parameter of the sip profile where the calls come in. By default the
internal sip profile uses the public context. This is for security reasons.
"Paranoid by default" is how you might describe it. You are welcome to
change that value to "default" so that calls let in by the ACL are handled
just like auth'd calls.

Play around with it and let us know how it goes. I think you'll get it once
you start modifying settings and making test calls.

-MC