Hi Ross,
While a spreadsheet is easier to work with, I find that Gnuradio is more
flexible often. Out of many modes I have tried, I found that the most simple
and robust for a 300 - 3000 Hz bandwidth is a 2kbit/s GMSK waveform. There are
other modes which offer better performance, however I like the data rate /
bandwidth trade off of this one.

Cheers,
Adrian