I know this is 20 year old code, but in looking for why my program produces
different pitch values (off by a fraction), I am looking at this algorithm
in lpc.c:

void levinson_durbin(  float R[], float lpcs[], int order) {
float a[order+1][order+1];   <---- automatic no initialization

 for(i=1; i<=order; i++) {
  sum = 0.0;
   for(j=1; j<=i-1; j++)
    sum += a[i-1][j]*R[i-j];   <-- R multiplied by unknown data

I've even looked at the referenced Makhoul paper, and it glosses over
whatever "a" is supposed to be initially assigned.

I tried assigning 1.0 to "a" elements. Even -1.0 just for kicks.

I guess it doesn't really matter what "a" is, as it seems to work anyway??