> By the way those views are via the freedv spectrum display.
>
> What I was thinking was the random numbers are of course hitting all
> the tones equally, whereas the vocoder bits are not as pure, and may
> in fact favor bit combinations over another. Maybe a sequence of the
> same bit patterns.

Hi Steve,
You could try scrambling the output of the vocoder. I use a scrambler
block from GNU radio which is described quite well here:
http://destevez.net/2016/05/scramblers-and-their-implementation-in-gnuradio/
Of course you would need to write it yourself and add it at the vocoder output.

Regards,
Adrian