Al,

That's exactly what my FreeDV application does except
1. It uses a general purpose voip protocol (Mumble) which can be extended with
arbitrary codecs including Codec2
2. It doesn't use the cloud. It uses a simple TCP server which can be hosted
anywhere and which allows multiple rooms to carry different physical radio
channels.

Mumble is very well known in the gaming community for its high audio quality
and high performance. In addition, it's completely open source and the protocol
is well documented.

Regards,
Adrian