Hi,

I have done some investigation recently into the comparative bit error handling
of Codec2
and Opus over the air with a VHF modem. I have saved some audio files from the
results
which can be loaded in Audacity.
Codec2 samples had a bitrate of 1400 bps, Opus samples had a bitrate of 9400
bps. Both
codecs were used with a 40 ms frame duration, Opus was configured with fixed
bitrate
and no DTX.

For both codecs I have recorded samples with and without audio compressor on.
My conclusion is that Codec2 handles bit errors in the audio stream a lot
better than Opus
with default settings as you can see in the wav files below.
Opus has high pitch high amplitude artefacts which are difficult to listen to
when bit errors
are present in a default configuration.
Using an aggressive audio compressor setting with Opus improves the response to
bit
errors quite a lot, while for Codec2 there is not much improvement added by
audio
compression, except for a little improved readability resulting from less
dynamic range.
Hope this is useful to someone.

Audio samples:
- no audio compression