Mooneer,  talking about do-all "universal" voice mode-

something I'd like would be a hierarchical modem and codec combo

A codec+modem combo that could provide great sounding speed when the signal was up a few dB, and bare minimum gradually below that.

I did some work with hierarchical modem modes many years ago. originally QPSK constellations  on the points of a BPSK symbol to add two extra bits per symbol.  Later work was using LDC codes to decode at negative SNR UNDER another positive SNR mode. (after subtraction its not so bad).

On the codec side I was using the highest bit rate codec2 and throwing away bits and temporal resolution of the pitching from my very basic work seemed to be the best way forward on this (I did some work on this on codec2 years ago) .

700 modem didnt exist at that time.

anyway, my 2c -glen