FreeType 2.8 has been released.
It is available from
The latter site also holds older versions of the FreeType library.
See below for the relevant snippet from the CHANGES file.
PS: Downloads from savannah.nongnu.org will redirect to your nearest
mirror site. Files on mirrors may be subject to a replication
delay of up to 24 hours. In case of problems use
FreeType 2 is a software font engine that is designed to be small,
efficient, highly customizable, and portable while capable of
producing high-quality output (glyph images) of most vector and bitmap
Note that FreeType 2 is a font service and doesn't provide APIs to
perform higher-level features, like text layout or graphics processing
(e.g., colored text rendering, `hollowing', etc.). However, it
greatly simplifies these tasks by providing a simple, easy to use, and
uniform interface to access the content of font files.
FreeType 2 is released under two open-source licenses: our own
BSD-like FreeType License and the GPL. It can thus be used by any
kind of projects, be they proprietary or not.
CHANGES BETWEEN 2.7.1 and 2.8
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Support for OpenType Variation Fonts is now complete. The last
missing part was handling the `VVAR' and `MVAR' tables, which is
available with this release.
- A new function `FT_Face_Properties' allows the control of some
module and library properties per font. Currently, the
following properties can be handled: stem darkening, LCD filter
weights, and the random seed for the `random' CFF operator.
- The PCF change to show more `colourful' family names (introduced
in version 2.7.1) was too radical; it can now be configured with
PCF_CONFIG_OPTION_LONG_FAMILY_NAMES at compile time. If
activated, it can be switched off at run time with the new pcf
property `no-long-family-names'. If the `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES'
environment variable is available, you can say
- Support for the following scripts has been added to the
Adlam, Avestan, Bamum, Buhid, Carian, Chakma, Coptic, Cypriot,
Deseret, Glagolitic, Gothic, Kayah, Lisu, N'Ko, Ol Chiki, Old
Turkic, Osage, Osmanya, Saurashtra, Shavian, Sundanese, Tai
Viet, Tifinagh, Unified Canadian Syllabics, Vai
II. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- `Light' auto-hinting mode no longer uses TrueType metrics for
TrueType fonts. This bug was introduced in version 2.4.6,
causing horizontal scaling also. Almost all GNU/Linux
distributions (with Fedora as a notable exception) disabled the
corresponding patch for good reasons; chances are thus high that
you won't notice a difference.
If optical backward compatibility for legacy applications is
necessary, you might enable the AF_CONFIG_OPTION_TT_SIZE_METRICS
configuration option. However, it is strongly recommended to
avoid that, adjusting font sizes instead.
- If a TrueType font gets loaded with FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING, FreeType
now scales the font linearly again (bug introduced in version
- CVE-2017-8105, CVE-2017-8287: Older FreeType versions have
out-of-bounds writes caused by heap-based buffer overflows
related to Type 1 fonts.
- A new function `FT_Set_Default_Properties' has been added to
parse the `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' environment variable
(previously, it was internal only). `FT_Init_FreeType' always
call this function, but `FT_New_Library' does not (similar to
- To be in sync with OpenType version 1.7 and newer, macros
are renamed to
The old macro names are deprecated (but still available).
- Support for SFNT `name' tables has been improved.
. Format 1 `name' tables are now supported. Use new function
`FT_Get_Sfnt_LangTag' to access associated language tags.
. Language, encoding, and name IDs have been updated to OpenType
- The new CFF engine now handles the `random' operator. All CFF
opcodes are now supported.
- The CFF module has a new property `random-seed' to control the
pseudo-random number generation for the `random' operator.
- The `freetype-config' script is now a wrapper of `pkg-config' if
this program is available in the path.
- FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD is now a variant of FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT;
this should provide better rendering results.
- A mode to display light auto-hinting with sub-pixel positioning
has been added to `ftdiff'.
Freetype-announce mailing list