> - the demo code didn't really select the hinting algorithm
>   correctly, I've corrected it in the CVS to match libXft's
>   behaviour

Hmm, no ChangeLog entry.  Will you do that?

> - there was a bug in the auto-fitter, [...]  Fixed in CVS this
>   morning before going to work.

No, you didn't.  Please retry.

> - I'm still unsure wether the current auto-fitter sources
>   duplicate 100% the old auto-hinter with regards to
>   hinting algorithm. I'll have to check this.

I tried hard to identify missing bits in autofit which were in
autohint, applying those features again.  However, those things were
minor details in the `environment', so to say, which don't scratch the
algorithm itself.

    Werner

PS: You've disabled compilation of ftgxval.c in the Jamfile.  How does
    it fail for you?