Ah, yes. I do indeed have cairo, mupdf installed via brew in /usr/local,
freetype is also there (built myself). mupdf comes from the "x11" group of
things installed by brew. When I try to launch mupdf-x11, I get

error: cannot open display
uncaught exception: cannot open display

Then I have XQuartz installed in /opt/x11

I guess these two things are in conflict somehow.

So, I do have freetype both in
/usr/local/include/freetype2/ and /usr/local/lib
and in
/opt/X11/include/freetype2/ and /opt/X11/lib

Do you know how I could build the freetype2-demos tools to link to freetype
that is in /opt/X11 ?

A.