Message: 3
 Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 23:37:06 +0200 (CEST)
 From: Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org>
 To: madig...@gmail.com
 Cc: freetype-devel@nongnu.org
 Subject: Re: [ft-devel] on widening at low res

> I can't believe that.  If you insert pixels
 horizontally, the printed
 output differs from what you see on screen.

I can. I seem to remember in System 7's (!) day, where words were hanging
beyond the margin
of justified paragraphs at low res (e.g. page-preview?) . i.e. the screen
output was indeed different from printed output.

I haven't done any major document-writing activities on the Mac since those
days :-).

> Correct.  `hdmx' makes only sense for v35.[1] In other
 words, you must
 switch to non-ClearType hinting if you want to validate
 `hdmx' tables.

Yes, that's the first line in CalcDevMetrics() :-) :

https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/blob/master/Compat/Compat.cs#L218