Excuse me, what is the purpose of the sample texts
in ftview/ftstring?

If it is to check the mapping (character code ->
glyph index), the lack of Unicode text layout would
not be essential.
Also, if it is to check the per-glyph rasterization
results (like the regression test in the improvement
of the bytecode interpreter), again the lack of Unicode
text layout would not be essential.
Also, if it is to check the character coverage, again
the lack of Unicode text layout would not be essential
(and the pangram is not suitable for checking).

In all 3 cases, in my personal opinion, using the
pangrams as sample texts might not be the best solution.
The first set of the characters in the Unicode block
(skipping the combining characters) could be better.

Werner, in the evaluation of the script-specific
routines in the autohinter, Unicode layout feature
is essential?

Regards,
mpsuzuki