I looked aver the changes apinames.c to see how the GNU and Solaris linker
version script is handled.

The question I have is how are we going to add the actual symbol versions -
read in a version tag or
something else?.  Also, how are we going to handle inheritance?, For
instance, using 1.2 as a sample
version number and FT as the tag:

FT_1.2 {
  global:
     new_sym1:
     new_sym2;
  local:
    .*;
} FT_1.1;

FT_1.1
   global:
       # all syms for 1.1 release
   local:
     .*;
};

so that 1.2 has all the symbols added to the 1.2 API and inherit the rest
from the 1.1 API.

Or is the FT API immutable, and never going to change?