> I strongly disagree.  Within a project everything must be consistent,
> no question.  However, I don't see any reason that *all* projects must
> look the same, with a single person (or a small team) being the
> formatting dictator.

There is no harm in everything looking the same; on the contrary, new people
familiar with other codebases can contribute more easily because stuff looks
the same — and since it’s automated, no PR ever gets round-tripped because of
some formatting nitpick.

In fact, I can’t think of a concrete reason why a codebase should be allowed to
look different from other codebases. The dictator in this case is really PEP 8,
black is just its henchman. This approach is quite pythonic.