> As long as adding FT_LOAD_COLOR will get COLR/CPAL glyphs rendered into the
> bitmap, cairo/Chrome will work fine and I have no problem with that.

This is just unfair. FreeType is not paid by or owned by Google. You
started to use unreleased features. Also Google did not contribute
that code. This is wrong to pose such demands!

> That said, my hunch is that the proposed change breaks glyphs with
> consecutive overlapping layers of same color, as the proposed change will
> render them in same go, mixing their winding numbers.

That is substantive. This would only create a problem if the layers
follow opposite convention: one fills to the left, one fills to the
right, i.e. it will break broken glyphs.

> Also, I was specifically referring to Alexei's work, which from where I seat,
> often looks like "optimize math in X", "optimize math in Y", many times
> without testing the code involved.

Again I am not paid by Google. to follow some arbitrary rules. But
thank you for testing.

> I should not be called obnoxious for demanding that code that is changed be
> tested.  Or rather, code that is not tested not be changed.

Stop rolling with git head then.