suzuki toshiya <mpsuz...@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Is there any recommended alternative? Or, should we accept
> the "modern" situation where we have to execute twice to build
> shared and static libraries?

X and Mesa have switched to Meson, and I've used it in a couple of other
projects (including picolibc). On POSIX systems, it uses ninja (which is
a light-weight 'make' analog), which is a very fast build system. Mesa
compiles in much less time as a result.

And, yes, it supports building static and shared libraries at the same
time, and you can opt to make the static libraries PIC or non-PIC as you
please.

One huge advantage is that you program the build system in one language
(meson's native configuration language), which has a clear syntax and
consistent semantics. No more mixing m4, shell and make in a single
file. Plus, that means that it can generate output for a variety of
systems cleanly.

--
-keith