*> Of course.  Please send a separate patch for these fixed so that I can>
apply it to master directly.*

Ok, I will provide you the patch once done...

*> Very nice!  Do you have some data how large the slowdown is due to the>
additional code?*

No,
As I haven't done software profiling before this...
But I will try it and provide you the required data...

*> Now let's pretend I'm Joe User, and I want a different logging format.>
Instead of having> [12:03:56 {stream}] ...> I want>  [stream] ...> What
must be done?  [Actually, this is the default format I want to> have if the
`FT2_DEBUG` environment variable contains the string> `show_modules` (or
`-v`, or whatever; this isn't implemented yet).]*

It is indeed possible...
dlg uses a feature flag(where user can provide different features
joined using the binary *OR *operator)
to control what needs to be printed along with actual log message(Time
Stamp, Tags, etc).
Therefore we could check if `show_modules` string is present in the
`FT2_DEBUG` env and update the
flag accordingly.
But, we cannot remove curly braces enclosing FT_COMPONENT as I am
using *dlg_tags
*to print the
FT_COMPONENT value and it is the default way of dlg to output tags.
Therefore, we could make Time Stamp and FT_COMPONENT toggleable based on
strings passed in `FT2_DEBUG` env
but cannot change the way in which they are printed.

Thanks,
Priyesh