> Is testing all these combinations really necessary?

I don't know :-) I just wanted to point out that feature combinations
have to be considered.

> [...] My intuition says very few of these combinations actually
> matter.

Yes, I agree.

> I wrote some pseudocode for a different approach that I believe
> accomplishes the same thing, while being more efficient and hopefully
> removing the need to constrain the set of features considered: [...]

Sounds good.  Unfortunately, I'm a bit short of time right now; I'll
think about your algorithm within the next few days.  However, please
proceed anyway!

> I attached some pictures of the tilde unflattening approaches.

Thanks.  Do you have meanwhile found an explanation why o-tilde looks
so bad for Times New Roman at 16ppem?

> I chose sizes that showcase the differences between the approaches,
> and also committed my current code if you would like to try it
> yourself.

Will try if I find some time.

    Werner