That brings up a good question.

It's been a while since I poked around in our code that uses FreeType, but as I recall, we render to grayscale bitmaps and use the gray levels as an alpha value to combine the requested color with the existing image. I've never been 100% happy with the way it looks though. Is there a recommendation on how to distribute the alpha values? We get back gray values of 0 for 100% transparent to 5 for totally opaque (at least in FT 1.3 -- I'm stuck there due to lack of priority to upgrade). Linear didn't seem to work very well. I don't know what values I'm using now, but it seems to make narrow strokes disappear at small sizes.

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I uploaded new image, so maybe it's easier to diagnose:
http://66.232.119.162/img/fontbug.PNG Artefact appear only if draw
text over background. If white background then no problems.

Aah, we are getting nearer.  It seems that the algorithm you use to
draw on a coloured background needs some improvements.  Try to play
with different gamma values for the anti-aliased glyphs.

I can't help further since this topic is beyond my knowledge.

    Werner