>     da    = da / ras.cubic_level;
>     db    = db / ras.conic_level;
>     while ( da > 0 || db > 0 )
>     {
>       da >>= 2;
>       db >>= 3;
>       level++;
>     }
>
> I think da should be divided by conic_level and db by cubic_level
> according to the context, or my mistake.

Hmm.  Can you explain how you come to this conclusion?  I don't
understand the heuristics either (this is one of the many speed-up
tricks left undocumented by David). If you have a cubic equation like

  ax³ + bx² + cx + d

my feeling is that `da' corresonds to the cubic term and `db' to the
quadratic one.

To be more precise: Have you done some comparisons (e.g., using a
profiler) or experienced better rendering results if you exchange
those two values?

     Werner