On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 6:14 PM Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-central.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 03:00:25 +0000, suzuki toshiya wrote:
>
> > BTW, does cmake have any hardwired database for
> > the available flags for each compilers? I can check
> > for gcc and clang, but I'm not sure about other
> > proprietary compilers...
>
> I thought most C compilers supported at least some small core of
> GCC-compatible flags, including ā€œ-gā€ for generating debugging symbols
> and ā€œ-Dā€ for defining preprocessor symbols that can be queried in the
> code. Plus of course the usual ones for specifying library and include
> paths. You can do a lot with just these.

Re CMake

Yes, and generally cmake provides those with the default flags by
compiler/generator/toolchain file.

[Dd][Ee][Bb][Uu][Gg]  includes -g , no optimization, and default flags if
the compiler uses them (_DEBUG)
[Rr][Ee][Ll][Ee][Aa][Ss][Ee] includes optimization, does not comiple with
symbols, and would be (NDEBUG)
RelWithDebInfo - includes optimization, but also debug information
MinSize - Extra optimzation, no symbols/debugging.

Unfortunatly, RelWithDebInfo on MSVC does also include multi-threaded-debug
runtime, so it's not very 'Release'.  This can be overridden...

But generally the default flags for compiler/generator selected in cmake
switch with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE

There are Visutal Studio/Xcode/... multi-configuration generators, but they
don't really support multiple install outputs, so it's almost always
easiest to just make a new build per configuration like makefiles and only
build the appropriate configuration for that target.

(I wonder if there's somehow a way to disable generation of parallel
targets)

I find that with VS now, even Release gets PDB debugging information
associated with it so you can debug/step through things you've compiled.