Hi,

The Skin Tone modifier is working as a combining character,
so it must be handled at the level higher than FreeType.

FreeType does not return the image of "À" (U+00C0) from
the sequence "A" + "`" (U+0041, U+0300) , even if the
specified font has a precomposed glyph which is accessible
from GSUB table.

I guess HarfBuzz has already supported the skin tone modifier,
according to here:

https://ja.overleaf.com/learn/latex/Articles/An_overview_of_technologies_supporting_the_use_of_colour_emoji_fonts_in_LaTeX#Exploring_HarfBuzz

Regards,
mpsuzuki