I demo "genbox" (freevo on gentoo) on a few local lan's where i am part of the
crew, and i have gotten the "Can i buy that" or "Why don't u sell a box like
that" before, so i have also thought of it a lot.

1 - There's the licensing issue. U're basically selling a mpeg
encoder/decoder, so company x + y+ z will ask u to pay all sorts of licensing
fees. With a PVR250/350/DXR3 u can get around this a bit, but that's not very
handy or completly legal-proof (divx/mpeg 4 decoding, mp3 decoding,
realmedia, quicktime).

2 - i consider freevo not-yet-mature enough just yet. If u want to sell freevo
boxes, u will have to standardise on a certain set of hardware and weed all
remaining bugs out (and contribute back ofcourse). Even if it would only
crash once a month, that's still to much if u sell it to a few dozen people
and have to provide support (and the legal 1year guarantee here).

3 - EPG data. You'll have to pay for it or u will get sued.

4 - And when u'have done 2, anybody with a better supply chain and cheaper HW
access kan simply dd your freevo box harddrive and sell his own cheaper.

I have made some freevo boxes for friends and stuff, but i don't get rich from
that except for some donations.

So it' basically near impossibble, except maybe if u have a small truckload of
cash.

Mvg den_RDC