Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>  --- Dirk Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu:
>> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>> > I've coded a small animation test in:
>> >
>> >    WIP/Barbieri/anim-test.py
>> >
>> > as freevo it uses a 800x600 screen and move few objects around the
>> > screen, it _REPAINTS_ the whole screen every time(!!!) and it's
>> smooth.
>>
>> Because your background is very simple. I checked in a modified
>> version using a background image from freevo. You see the
>> difference. Now think of more images (a.k.a. layers).
>>
>> Or a small test you can do. Load two 800x600 images as layer. Put one
>> at 0,0, one at 800,0 and than move both images to left.
>

> Dischi, It's not that bad:
>
> My timings:
>      create-bg:  0
>         blit-bg:  1.918 ms  (average)
>       blit-obj2:  3.973 ms  (average)
>            flip:  0.137 ms  (average)
>         blit-sr:  0.000 ms  (average)
>         blit-sl:  0.548 ms  (average)
>          blit-j:  0.000 ms  (average)
>      create-obj:  0.0

Make more tests. Create a surface with an alpha channel and blit it to
a non alpha surface (we need this a lot). This is much slower.

> It's a Pentium4-2Ghz.

I use 800 MHz which is ok for video playback. I guess it doesn't make
sense to require a higher cpu only for the gui when mplayer can handle
everything with less power. And some people use a mini-itx. It's top
is 1.2 GHz right now.

But the gui redesign will still support pygame. But it would prefer
other backends if they are installed. Why use pygame when imlib2 or
gtkpixbuf support is possible? And one other reason why I don't like
pygame: it has no support for an external main loop. People start to
hate the sleep(0.01) we do in our main loop. They ask, why not use
select? Because I can't get a file descriptor from pygame, I need
active waiting. Very bad.

program, n.:
        A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input
        into error messages.  tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging
        one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.