Richard van Paasen wrote:
> Another idea for the textual version of the tv guide is to restrict
> the information on one page to either one channel or one
> time-box. Browsing through the tv guide "pages" (either channels or
> time boxes) then can be done with the left/right keys on the
> remote. Walking through rows on a page with up/down.
>
> E.g. (channel mode):
>
> Channel 1
> 08.00   program 1....
> 08.10   program 2....
> 09.00   program 3....
> 10.30   program 4....
> 18.00   program 5....
>
> E.g. (time-box mode):
>
> Programs running at 08.05:
> Channel 1   Program w
> Channel 2   Program x
> Channel 3   Program y
> Channel 4   Program z
>
> The tv-guide should be able to toggle between "time-box" and
> "channels" mode. This way more space (i.e. the total width of the
> screen) is available for a tv guide entry. Time-box mode could step by
> 5 minutes or so when pressing the left/right (pageing) key.
>
> Hope this description is clear enough, mail me otherwise!

I just had a similar idea. Why not two types of tv guides. We use the
tv guide for two reasons: watching tv now and recording. Both have
different needs:

Watching now: I want to know what's up at this time on all
channels. This is the time boxed mode from above. It is similar to the
current guide but you can't select a program, you select a channel. If
you select a program in 3 minutes, you still get the channel and the
program starts in 3 minutes. So selecting channels is the logic here.

Record: I know the channel, so a simple listing area is want we want
here. Everyone who tried to record a program the day after tomorrow
knows that the current guide can't handle this well.

Now we only need a way to switch between the two ways.

Comments requested before I do this.

Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.