Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Environment variables would result in a 3rd way to configure
> freevo. Right now we have local_conf.py and freevo.conf. Maybe we can
> use the later. The packages need environment variables but the freevo
> start script will read freevo.conf and will put some settings in
> variables. Maybe we could move more stuff here that most users don't
> change:

OK, new proposal: add a file sysconfig.py (better name please). It
provides:

o reading freevo.conf (in a generic way that it can be changed to a
  different application). Adding everything found to a dict. This file
  shouldn't know about the entries freevo expects, except:

o handle config variables for locale (or better encoding?), vfs_dir,
  cache_dir and db_dir. If the variables are nor found, create default
  values like we discussed.

o provide helper functions like 'Unicode' and 'String'. Also some
  functions to get a cachename (to avoid to much os.path.join in the
  code to make it look better) and a db name.

> Right now it would be LOCALE, OVERLAY_DIR, CACHE_DIR, DB_DIR. Besides
> that there is still display (maybe has the real OSD_DISPLAY here),
> chanlist and tv_norm. Maybe replace the last two with a COUNTRY
> setting. By that we could do more cool stuff. But we need help
> here. The COUNTRY setting could be germany and we would know some
> basic settings like locale, too. Maybe even Germany/Bremen to know
> some frequencies. But if we go that way, we need much help from our
> users to get good data.

This won't be handled by sysconfig, more from the freevo_setup
script. We would have two higher level settings resulting in more
settings:

display: possible values are the output displays we have now in gui
and some higher level, like sdl/mga setting the display to pygame and
use mga specific settings. So setting a display in freevo_setup would
result in this settings: display (e.g. pygame), subdisplay (e.g. mga,
better name please, subdisplay sounds stupid), fb or X, pre/post
commands to execute.

location: the country settings. Based on pre defined values it will
set encoding, tv norm, chanlist, clock layout (12 [ap]m or 24 hour
style), xmltv grabber.

Comments please!

A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.