Chris,

Here is what I know.

I'm running freevo 1.8.0; the latest versions of xine and mplayer for fedora 8.
 I'm using the proprietary NVIDIA
drivers for my FX-6200 nvidia card, which uses xvmc for high definition video.

For older version of freevo and xine, I used to have to use -V xxmc for xine,
however, for the latest versions, I simply
use "auto" and xine appears to figure it out.  The auto must be working, as I
can play high definition mpegs without any
issue, and it certainly wouldn't play if xine were not using either xxmv or
xvmc.  I haven't checked in a while, but
IIRC, the last time I checked xine was uisng xvmc and not xxmc.  This was a
change since I upgraded from fedora 7 to
fedora 8, so, xine had some changes/improvements.  The only time I have to
check to see what it's doing is when the
videos don't play :-)

My local_conf.py has this:
XINE_VO_DEV = 'auto'
XINE_ARGS_DEF = " --config /home/lroom/.xine/config --aspect-ratio auto
--no-lirc "

For mplayer, I need to use xvmc for high definintion content.  I control the vo
switch using MPLAYER_ARGS in
local_conf.py
MPLAYER_ARGS = { 'dvd'    : '-cache 8192 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc',
                 'mpeg'   : '-cache 5000 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc -ao
alsa:device="iec958"',
                 'mpg'    : '-cache 10000 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc -ao
alsa:device="iec958"',
                 'ts'     : '-cache 5000 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc -ao
alsa:device="iec958"',

The latest versions of mplayer that come with fedora 8 are incredible for
playing high definition mpegs.  The earlier
versions used to occassionally stutter, but all of those issues are gone now.
The mplayer playback is no different
than a live feed (from what I can see) when using xvmc.

Jim