On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 10:54 -0700, Ingo W. wrote:

[…]
> Don't forget that source code is not only written for computers, but
> also
> for humans.
> The type signature often serves as a compiler checked documentation.

Indeed, but:

1. I get the comment a lot: if Haskell and Frege are supposed to be
terse, why have all this extra un-needed type information.

2. Many of the types in Haskell and Frege are almost Voldemort Types,
i.e. they cannot be written down. D (where the term started), Chapel,
and other languages often have types that it is necessary to let the
compiler be in charge of. So there is a move to having less type
information in the code. Sometimes this is the wrong thing to do
though, but…

So whilst I have followed the idiom of having explicit type signatures,
I am rapidly heading towards not having them. For people who are not
type theorists but just programmers, the types can all too often get in
the way of understanding the code, they are sometimes anti-
documentation.

I shall dither a bit more and be decisive later. Maybe. :-)

--
Russel.