Well, according to this slashdot:

  http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/23/196229

which points to this Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/22/AR2007112201444_pf.html

the feds have been routinely asking for and getting real time cell tower
tracking information from your phone provider, even though it runs counter
to DoJ guidelines.  So that's with access to the cell phone infrastructure
but it's roughly the same information that GoogleMaps is using to locate
your phone without GPS.

As for bugging your phone, sure, it would  be no problem to write a small
program which ran on your Treo, woke up regularly, checked the cell id's on
the closest towers, and SMS'ed that information to someone who was
interested.  You might notice the extra interference on your car FM radio if
you have a GSM phone, you might notice the SMS charges on your phone bill,
or you might walk around announcing your location until the phone broke.

But the pings, the handshakes with the cell towers, are infrastructural,
they're your phone's business and the phone company's business, and they
only go further if your phone or your phone company explicitly shares them.

The precision depends on the density of the towers and how well the
intersecting sectors have been mapped by GPS phones.  While GMaps is active
on the phone, it's reading out the id's for the nearest tower/cells and the
signal strength for each id.  If the phone has GPS, it sends the cell
id's/signal strength and the GPS location to mother google for her world
map.  If the phone has no GPS, it just sends the cell id's/signal strength
to mother google.  She checks her map and sends back an estimated location
and error.  That it's not working around Santa Fe probably means that there
aren't many, or any, GPS enabled phones running GoogleMaps and reporting
actual locations around these parts.

But Google can't ping your phone, it's your phone that pings the towers to
maintain its connectivity.  And Google only collects the tower id/signal
strength/location information, because collecting identities would be evil,
not to mention hideously expensive given that there is one cell phone for
every two people on earth as of last thursday:

  http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/29/213245

-- rec --