Hi,

I leafed through some of Rosen's stuff and the Kercel paper, I
unfortunately do not have the time at the moment to work through it in
detail, but some things which "disturb" me:

1) The assertion that the incomputable enters with "life". Rosen seems
aware that he moves into the range of vitalism here, and tries to defend
that he says it is not mechanism versus vitalism but simplicity versus
complexity (=uncomputability in the Rosen sense)
For my problems with his "uncomputability" see below.

2) Rosen repeatedly refers to Gödel's result and talks about how it
shows how impoverished formalization are in regard to "real"
mathematics. This of course leads to the question what "real"
mathematics is. It seems that Rosen is Platonist (how else would he know
what "real" mathematics is?), but this is an opinion
one must not share.
He also ignores that Gödel's results do not place limits on what one can
formally model (in general), but only with regard to a formal system
(finitely given, sufficient strenght etc).

The question _if_ physics is completely formalizable/computable is
indeed an interesting one, but why should this stage only start when
life is concerned? (see below) Either it applies to the universe as a
whole or it does not.

3) In the Kercel paper, we read:
:START QUOTE:
Given this, what does the (M,R)-system imply? In this model, the
inferential entailments, the metabolism map f, the repair map F, and the
replication map b represent the causal entailments in an organism, i.e.,
the efficient causes of metabolism, repair, and replication,
respectively. If the (M,R)-system is actually in a modeling
relation with the organism, then the same closed-loop hierarchical
structure of containment of entailment must apply to the efficient
causes. Just as map F contains map f contains in map b contains map F,
ad infinitum, the efficient cause of repair contains the efficient cause
of metabolism contains the efficient cause of replication contains the
efficient cause of repair, ad infinitum.

This is what it means to say that organisms contain the causal
counterpart of impredicative loops. Rosen's expression "closed to
efficient cause" now becomes clear.

A real-world process is "closed to efficient cause" when it contains a
closed-loop hierarchy of containment of efficient causes. Each efficient
cause is contained by all the members of the loop that come before it,
and contains all the members of the loop that come after it.
:END QUOTE:

What I fail to see that "life" embodies this "infinite" cycle as in his
(M,R) system: after all, life started around 4 billion years ago - so I
can _finitely_ list all cycles till some point where we are not
interested anymore (depending on which theory of origin of life you
prefer, rna first or metabolism first or whatever).

4) An ultrafinitistic view would generally rule out noncomputable models
anyway (see for instance the nice essay by Doron Zeilberger:
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/mamarim/mamarimPDF/real.pdf)
Or:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrafinitism

So Rosen's model's also make some mathematical assumptions (which,
admittedly, are widely shared - but may change, of course)

5) What I also find strange is the opposedness to computation: after
all, with computers we are just beginning to find an "embarassment of
riches"; fine to explore other avenues (Rosen), but I think it is much
to early to dismiss the computational approach. So why his radical
assertion that computational approaches to describe life must fail?

6) A point addressed in the Kercel paper: The ambiguity of language and
the definiteness of computation: this is of import for the AI/Alife
community, and it is indeed a problem, but is I think addressed if one
can control the symbol grounding problem(Harnad,
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/harnad90symbol.html).

If one can let an AI/Alife really learn symbols (instead of programming
them or assigning meaning to symbols by specification of the prog.
language; the "learned" symbols would not make sense to us then, of
course) they would inherently have the same ambiguity as our concepts
have for us (because they would be learned in an ambiguous world).

Conclusion: I think Rosen's ideas are valuable contributions in that
they sensitivize us to certain problems, especially in modelling life.

But the case against computatability is unconcinving.

I would be very interested in thoughts of other FRIAMers, especially
Glen who seems to have read a lot of Rosen's work - maybe you can clear
up some things.

Regards,
Günther

Glen E. P. Ropella wrote: