Glen,

No, taking on impossible tasks is what true stupidity is about, not
expertise, and the best way to hire a stupid expert is to hire people ready
to do it.  Come on... heading into impenetrable walls of complexity is the
stupidest thing any 'expert' could possibly recommend but we've gone and
hired an entire world full of so called 'experts' doing exactly that.   It
ain't gonna work.

You say:
> There's no reason to avoid relying on historically successful patterns
> of control.  You just have to accumulate enough momentum while
> successful to survive the black swans.
Momentum is what is causing you to be blind sided by them, not what will let
you barrel through them.  It's not 'bumps in the road' to crash through but
true ends of the road that go unseen.

> The trick is that when experts
> sell themselves to you, they tend toward optimism (and underestimate the
> risks) because they don't eat their own dog food ... they won't really
> suffer the consequences the customer will suffer when their expertise
> fails.  They _tend_ to promise what they really can't deliver ... or
> they're extremely vague about what they promise so they can hold up
> whatever they happen to deliver as a refined version of what they
> promised ... like politicians and outsource code shops.

Right, but totally inconsistent with your first statement "just hire an
expert".

> In contrast, if your "skin is in it", then you tend to be a bit more
> pessimistic (and conservative) with what you promise.

Right, but inconsistent with how mistaken self-interest by the experts has
spread so far and wide that our global life-support system becomes fragile
enough to collapse.  What I've been trying to point out is that nature is
full of signals for when patching up the old model will soon fail.

The hunt for the new one can be the fun you need to replace our natural
disappointment that nature has wriggled out of our feeble grasp yet again!!
If we don't look out for change, change will surely not look out for us.

Phil