From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of peter
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:13 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group; 1st-Mile-NM
Subject: [FRIAM] SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what is data anyway

On the quest of how truth / morality and honesty drive data ( or not ) I
came across this priceless quotation which I though I would share.

Call me nuts but it makes so much sense

QUOTATION:

There is a tendency to mistake data for wisdom, just as there has always
been a tendency to confuse logic with values, intelligence with insight.
Unobstructed access to facts can produce unlimited good only if it is
matched by the desire and ability to find out what they mean and where they
lead. Facts are terrible things if left sprawling and unattended. They are
too easily regarded as evaluated certainties rather than as the rawest of
raw materials crying to be processed into the texture of logic. It requires
a very unusual mind, Whitehead said, to undertake the analysis of a fact.
The computer can provide a correct number, but it may be an irrelevant
number until judgment is pronounced.

ATTRIBUTION:

Norman Cousins (1912-1990), U.S. editor, author. "Freedom as Teacher," Human

( : ( : pete

--

Peter Baston

IDEAS