From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of peter
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:27 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Strogatz and Ratti video conversation

Nice one indeed , great catch Steve

But do we all realize the implications with the words - Feedback Loops -
Giant Non Linear systems ( being measured with linear systems ) - Network
theory not translating into Euclidean geometry.

I found the piece on natural laws of cities totally enlightening but
fortunately for all of us SaFeans we live in Discworld nirvana where no
natural laws apply as Owen can testify from his phenomenal research under
Professor Pratchett

( : ( : pete

Peter Baston

IDEAS

 <http://www.ideapete.com/> www.ideapete.com

Stephen Guerin wrote:

Nice video of Steven Strogatz and Carlo Ratti discussing complexity
and urban design:

http://salon.seedmagazine.com/salon_strogatz_ratti.html
Strogatz mathematically describes how natural and sociocultural
complexity resolves into vast webs of order. Ratti uses technology as
a tool to create interactive urban environments. In this video Salon,
Strogatz and Ratti discuss whether building and analyzing human
networks can help us overcome our poor mathematical understanding of
complexity.

-S