From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Russ Abbott
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:39 PM
To: nickthomp...@earthlink.net
Cc: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Callling all cladisticists

Since my prejudice as a programmer is that almost any abstraction is likely
to be useful, then since taxonomies tend to reveal interesting abstractions,
they will very likely be useful. How could they not? At worst a taxonomy
will be found to be uninteresting and unrevealing of underlying design
principles. In that case, we wasted our time in building the taxonomy. But I
would bet that developing ABM taxonomies will turn out to worth the effort.
I can't imagine an argument that says a priori that it won't be. How could
anyone possibly know that?

-- Russ

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Nicholas Thompson