Jack,
Nice comments on the history of science and the issue.   I'd agree with the
cladists that design does not reveal its provenance, but with the
evolutionists that most differences in design arise from their provenance.
So to me, looking at your evidence to see a) how to distinguish one pattern
from another and b)where the differences came from, can both lead to methods
that "give us greater or lesser purchase on given pragmatic objectives".

Since most ABM models are probably from one or another community of models,
designed to use some common features as standard and others as experimental,
one might ask the contributors of the model be published in the community
'cladogram' about that, but it's going to end up looking like a network
history map, which is a hard thing to read and probably as much of a
challenge to analyze...

Phil Henshaw
NY NY  www.synapse9.com