Saul,

On first glance it appears that Noether's theorem is quite similar to mine,
but just does not take it to the next level.   My similar theorem starts
from extrapolating the three conservation laws for energy flow as a
hierarchy applying to all derivative levels, apparently like Noether seems
to do.   Taking that another step finds that the whole hierarchy of separate
laws becomes one unified law of continuity in energy flows.    The
particular usefulness of that is to then work backwards from the n'th
derivative to observe that the form of equation for the  beginning or ending
of any energy flow is a developmental sequence which has all derivatives
real and of the same sign for a finite period as a necessity for avoiding
infinite accelerations and energy densities.

So, finding rates of change that are all of the same sign then indicates
where one might find a conserved process that is beginning or ending.
What I find most useful is the unprovable extension of the principle, that
anything displaying continuity of change is a conserved process, and
measures of it may have useful conservation laws of their own at least
temporarily.    For example, a complex system's total mass (however
estimated) often behaves as if a strictly conserved quantity, changing only
by smoothly differentiable progressions of change.   That's basically how
business development or the health of newborn infants is gauged, using
stable rates of changing scale as a stand-in for complex system
developmental health.    Sometimes the conserved properties of systems
display emergent or transient derivative continuities, ones that weren't
there before.   One well documented example is in my plankton punctuated
equilibrium study, where the speciation event was shown to be comprised of a
series of emerging eruptions of developmental change in the organism's
profile area.

Yes, it may well be true that being able to classify things need not be
particularly informative.  As you say, Nothier's theorem only holds for
certain classes of problems, but I think that suggestion is that that class
may be most generally for the class of problems that involve continuity.
It's just a guess, but maybe the way the Wikipedia entry states the
restrictions of Nothier's theorem to systems following Lagrangian dynamics
and so excludes dissipative processes indicates that the theorem might have
been developed with unnecessary shortcuts that reduce its generality.

Theorem http://www.synapse9.com/drtheo.pdf

Background an applying to physical systems
http://www.synapse9.com/physicsofchange.htm

Best,

Phil Henshaw

NY NY  www.synapse9.com