Hey, as IB, I would like to point out that biological models make sense because we are unavoidably biological in design, thus our systems will be. All our systems: interpretive, expressive, diagnostic, experimental. No matter how far we think we may evolve past that, we cannot. We just think about it, with our biological brains. We are a self-referential species, for better or worse. So our models, in whatever field, will ultimately ping on that neurological level. Makes sense to work with that presupposition, since in the end we return to it.
        Tory

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marcus G. Daniels" <mar...@snoutfarm.com>
Date: May 25, 2009 11:04:39 AM MDT
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com > Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Distributed Agents and Alan Kay's Universal Interface Language Reply-To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com >

Stephen Guerin wrote:
Ah, by control over its own execution, I meant "execution" as thread of computation.
Yeah, I realize the word was overloaded.. See my other e-mail on not being able to predictably get resources. (Scheduling a thread is does not imply actually commencing execution.)

Here I was just getting Doug to confront his prejudice about garbage collectors. ;-)
I suspect we might adopt more of an cellular apotosis model <http://evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/Apoptosis.html > where agents remove themselves unless they constantly receieve a keep-alive-message from other agents. There's also the idea that there should be a mechanism where agents will migrate away from the edge of the network where users are to lower cost, high latency parts of the network when they are less in demand - a kind of cold storage.
Cool. I think biological approaches to resilience and system optimization are intriguing..

Marcus