If you believe that article you will believe anything!  I was shocked that
the author refers to Lagrangian reference systems without understanding or ever
describing what he means (it's the most simple concept), blathers on about
large scale high Reynolds Number Turbulence in Monterey Bay surface flow and
ends with George Haller, who when I discussed this with him personally last
year was doing experiments in low Reynolds Number flow in about the "creeping"
range.  That's viscous oil schmearing around beercan sized 2-D circular
prisms at about 1 cm/sec.!  Not exactly the otter-haunted
kelp-infested shoreline of the Bay. Also, none of this has anything to do with
drag of bluff bodies (automobiles) as George admitted to me, also that his
stuff does not apply to turbulent flow, and that the last article on his work
was also very deceptive.

Nothing wrong with the work of anyone he mentions, just with the "science"
writer himself!

Gimme a break.  Reporters don't have to know the arcana of turbulence, but
should submit their stuff for review to someone who does!
Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures

Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.

1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
tel:(505)983-7728