To Hugh and the peloton discussion group,

I did a little riding in spandex and have a small sense of the dynamics
inside a peloton. I always thought it a marvelous experience while
participating.

The most striking oddity for me about the discussion is the focus on the
group concept. Personally it appears an artifact of the human propensity to
organize random events into a pattern that may or may not have any meaning,
it sounds a lot like an argument about what the shape of a cloud appears to
represent. Each individual argues tautologically to support their specific
perspective.

The way a peloton transforms over time exchanging members and breaking into
subunits then reassembling seems to contradict any notion of group. A group
definition dependent on time velocity or orientation is simply an
instantaneous attribute and I think misleading.

Hugh's model should display behaviors that surprise everyone simply because
we are trapped by personal perspectives and expectations.  A peloton is a
merciless entity disposing of riders as callously as wind strips leaves from
trees in autumn. Yet occasionally it appears merciful, a weak rider can be
hidden in the shadow and carried along until it has healed, its only
function to tell jokes. Sprinters are typically delivered to the attack
position in such a manner. Often the sprinter in tow is not even related to
the mules. The mules or pullers try every tactic possible to rid themselves
of the unwanted hanger on. So affinity is not a parameter for apparent
cooperaton. That kind of blows the "Genefur" concept out of the water. To
the outside observer cooperation seems dominant, to the rider it can be
either a pleasant exercise or one filled with dread depending on how close
is the finish line. Some pullers will invite a good joker along for the ride
knowing full well that he will be dumped when things get serious. I
personally have dumped riders who did not do their laundry regularly enough!
Yes I pulled ahead and hit his front wheel, Not Nice I admit but he reeked
and I could get away with it or so I thought. I had to confess to Friam, how
peculiar!

The fixation with sorting based on speed, reserve energy etc. will lead to
finding the best rationale to explain that idea. I just wish to insert a new
dimension namely that the purpose of a peloton might be  to deliver
sprinters. Energy optimization is not the goal but simply a tool. The
peloton is an artifact of a few cyclists with temporarily synchronous goals.
The rewards in the peloton are human constructs, sprinters are evaluated by
the trophy and pullers by delivering sprinters. The puller has only to
select sprinters with the same logo as he wears, he forces the role of
sprinter upon the one they identify as being the most explosive on that
particular day. The pullers define the structure of the peloton and
determine who becomes identified as a sprinter. The pullers are ruthless,
and they rule the roost so to speak. Pullers can be absolute tyrants and
discourage any individualism when they sense the target. They amuse
themselves with little attacks at various stages to evaluate the strength of
each little team. The sorting by velocity is a dangerously biased view of a
peloton. It has some merit but underestimates or oversimplifies what might
actually be happening.

Let me put it in another context, a peloton is one thing to outside
observers and another to the individual riders, it is neither and perhaps it
is both. The model that Hugh builds will be watched closely as Hugh seems to
be onto something very important. Let the model speak for itself and later
we will all argue about the wonderful patterns that appear in the "clouds".
Peloton strategy sessions following a race are intriguing since they
typically have both a personal  and collective viewpoint. The personal is
always the must relevant. Good team leaders play the riders like chess
pieces and have no room for sentiment.

If Hugh has time to spare could you please let us lurkers know of some of
your progress building the model. I am just getting started myself and am
interested in "Group Dynamics" as artifacts of an external perspective.

I hope Hugh has an easier time understanding the peromyscus peloton  than
was my experience with the local FOG ( Fast Old Guys) riders, I never made
the grade!.

My guess towards building a group model of sperm is to program the agents as
Tyranical Pullers willing to destroy themselves and everyone around
themselves for a programmed goal, the program would be moderated by
proximity to the goal. Perhaps they start off simply looking for a shadow
behind a stronger rider, when the shadow is inconsistent they switch to a
stronger lead wheel, there is no group selection just individual selection
for an easy ride. The individual monitors his own energy state and tries to
keep expenses at a minimum. He does also recognize is own affinity group
based on some markers and attempts to keep them close (just how close is
Hugh's problem) In cycling it is possible to dispose of a follower by simply
slowing your pace and letting your back wheel touch the following front
wheel. Such dirty tricks are not uncommon. The follower almost always loses
control. If not, he will return with a major attitude ! In this case the
goal is not to win but to eliminate the opponents.  One has to be careful
when doing this or the falling rider might take out a group of your affinity
clan as well!  On the other hand this may be the function of some  sperm to
eliminate competition from behind.

I will follow your progress Hugh, as you build your model , with  much
enthusiasm.

I just pumped my skinny tires up and hope to do some lazy riding as spring
arrives in Winnipeg.

Dr.Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky

Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.

Winnipeg, Manitoba

CANADA R2J 3R2

(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax