Just a brief follow up:
Bill  Lauritzen's latest book is available on "google books".
[
http://books.google.com/books?id=g6jE_6P-o2kC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false
]

Its truly amazing how using cut and paste off the Internet he has fleshed
out his theories  about volcanoes (Vulcanic Gods) and "oxygen = soul" from
his earlier pamphlet.

from page 248
PART I .. However, the field of 'archeoastronomy' is well established and
many responsible investigators publish their findings every year [316]

PART II  .. There is a field of study called 'geomythology' which is not
very well known. ..this section makes important contributions ot that field.

PART III .. "What the early humans probably called spirit, soul, and often
times "God" was primarily an attempt to describe and understand what we now
know as "Oxygen" .. this section creates a new branch of science with its
elaboration of the connection between the "soul" and "oxygen"..

Lauritzen's prescription (page 249) ..

Scientists need to quit attacking religion.  1) BY, ...  2) By simplifying
their models as much as possible without reducing their high match to
reality.

page 265, he lists the Santa Fe institute 1984 foundation as an important
milestone in the time line. (Incidentally a timeline which conveniently
skips the Rig Veda .. among other works .. which predates his oxygen thesis
of page 257 virtually word for word).