Title: "Great Men ..." (1868)  (pg.8)
Author : Keshub Chandra Sen

"Great men are sent by Grod into the world to benefit mankind. They are His
apostles and missionaries, who bring to us glad tidings from heaven ; and in
order that they may effectually accomplish their errands they are endowed by
Him with requisite power and talents. They are created with a nature
superior to that of others, which is at once the testimonial of their
apostleship and the guarantee of their success.

They are not made great by culture or experience : they are born great. They
are ordained and sanctified as prophets at  their birth. They succeed, not
because of any ability acquired through personal exertions, nor of any
favorable combination of outward circumstances, but by reason of their
inherent greatness. It is God's light that makes them shine, and enables
them to illumine the world. He puts in their very constitution something
that is super-human and divine ; hence their greatness and superiority. They
are great on account of the large measure of divine spirit which they
possess and manifest.

It is true they are men, but who will deny that they are above ordinary
humanity ? Though human, they are divine. This is the striking peculiarity
of all great men. In them we see a strange and mysterious combination of the
human and divine nature, of the earthly and the heavenly. It is easy to
distinguish a great man, but it is difficult to comprehend him. A deep
mystery hangs over the root of his life : the essence of his being is an
inexplicable riddle. Who can solve it ? That some nations have carried their
reverence for prophets so far as to deify them, and worship them as God, or
rather God in human shape, does not in the least appear to me surprising or
unaccountable, however guilty they may be of man-worship. For if a prophet
is not God, is he a mere man ? That cannot be. Such an hypothesis would not
adequately explain all the problems of his life. The fact is, as I have
already said, he is both divine and human ; he is both God and man. He is a
"God-man". "