Actually I can follow Glen's line of reasoning (I think).

For example, the way Maths works is that a "theorem" is "proved" by trying
to prove a "conjecture". When that approach fails you end up proving a
"special case" of the conjecture - which in turn gets elevated to its own
status as a  "theorem".  "Proving" Fermat's Last Theorem took 3 centuries
and generated an equal number of theorems for mathematicians to solve/prove.
The ultimate perpetual machine to keep mathematicians employed till either
the existence of "God" (the grand unified theorem of everything)  is proved
or we have 33 billion gods (theorems) as we do in India.

Sarbajit