Hi Steve

" The chances of drawing a glass without any marked molecules is 1/1000,
supporting ES's claim."

I don't think the maths works quite that way. Some glasses would have
exactly 1000 molecules, some would have 1000 -/+ 1, or 2 ..  -/+999.
Presuming that the distribution is a "normal" distribution, there would be
an exceedingly small probability of getting a glass with zero marked
molecules.

Furthermore since there is the equally remote probability that a single
glass would contain all the marked molecules (just like we started out
with), the distribution would be skewed away from a normal one..

This is just an off the cuff observation. I could brush up my prob-stats if
reqd (and eat humble pie if wrong).