Hi Nick,

Let me tell you a story that I hope will find cheerful. A few years ago my
beautiful oldest daughter was putting together a project for her high school
AP history class. She decided to cover Brown v. Board of Education as sort
of a performance art piece, segregating the class and giving all the
resources to the white kids.

I picked her up from school on the big day. She was furious. "How did it go,
sweetie?" I asked her. "Daddy, it was HORRIBLE. NOBODY knew what they were."

It seems the entire project had collapsed at the point of segregation
because ... hardly any of the kids could figure out where they "belonged."
Our town is listed in the education guides as just a few percentage points
minority, because minority is defined only as African American or Hispanic.
In actuality, we live in a technorati enclave that is largely Asian and
Middle Eastern. We're Filipino. The folks next door are Chinese, and across
the street Indian. My son's best friends are Vietnamese and Persian. And so
forth.

So how does this answer your question regarding Schelling? In several ways.
First, to assume that "own kind" refers to race is facile in this day and
age. In our case, "own kind" refers to the fact that the dads drop their
kids for band and then hang around to gossip about the latest Ruby on Rails
distro. Second, even if the government could and should do something about
this situation, by the time they study it, define it, debate it and issue
some regulations....Something Else will be happening.

cjf

Christopher J. Feola