On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Ted Carmichael <teds...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree with the comments on the psychology/perception issue.  But I don't
agree with this:

"So no matter which bisecting plane through the sphere we examine, it will
always have more sticks parallel to it than to the orthogonal pole.  So this
actually explains a "planar force".  There more horizontal sticks than
up/down sticks...."

I just don't think that is possible.  All you have to do is consider one
case (that supposedly has more sticks parallel), and then freeze the sticks
in place, and rotate the plane through the sphere so that it is now
perpendicular to the original plane.  Clearly now the "parallel" sticks are
"perpendicular," so if there were more parallel before, now there are more
perpendicular.

That seems reminiscent of the vision trick of Bumps(or Hollows) with
shadows. In some sense our brains are wired (Hard or Soft?) to prefer
certain short cuts of reasoning based on gravity or the assumption that the
sun is overhead and shadows always fall in a particular way. If the sticks
were oriented perpendicular to a plane it strikes me that most viewers would
inevitable prefer to say the sticks are lying in some other orthogonal
plane.  It is striking that this discussion can not disentangle itself from
Human perception for very long before exposing it again. Perhaps the reason
we find difficulty accepting Gravity in this new form is that our brains
themselves are stuck using a short cut approach. In spite of most human
beings accepting a roundish earth, day to day we still assume it to be
flat.!

We automatically orient to a level flat plane with our bodies upright. Our
plane of reference is preferred over all others.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky

Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.

Winnipeg, Manitoba

CANADA R2J 3R2

(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax