Hey Nick,

We use Dropbox a ton; here's why. I've never been a big fan of cloud
storage-It's OK, but I've always had access to servers and such, so there
didn't seem to be much of a point for someone in my situation. Dropbox,
however, is a game changer. First, clients for everything. In my office
alone we have it on Mac OSx, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, several
flavors of Linux, iOS 3, iOS4 and Android 2.X.

Second, there's the synching. On regular -- big -- machines such as desktops
and laptops, Dropbox creates a mirror folder on your hard drive and
synchronizes it with the cloud. Super useful for using multiple machines,
backup, etc.  Even better, it means backups on every machine AS WELL AS the
cloud, so even if the cloud went away I'm still in good shape. Plus,
multiple levels of undelete, logging of who did what, share control, etc.

While this is a great strategy for hard drives, it's not so hot for the much
tighter solid state storage on mobile devices. Here, Dropbox works in the
opposite fashion-it creates what looks like a folder in your storage, but
does NOT automatically synchronize the files. This has several advanatages:
it allows you to access tons of stuff without using up your storage, for
one. And it allows the Dropbox folder to appear as a usable drive to other
programs, such as Docs to Go, so you can create docs on, say, your iPad and
have them backed up/available for editing on your bigger hardware.

There's a catch to this, obviously -- it doesn't work when you're offline.
So how do you make stuff in your Dropbox available for, say, work on an
airplane? Simple-you favorite it.

So, bottom line: Great synching. Backup. Clients for pretty much everything.
And if I'm in a meeting and need a doc I don't have I can pull it up on my
Android phone.

Recommended.

cjf

Christopher J. Feola