There are angelic images in the Babylonian periods (Winged Bearded warriors)
. The Egyptians had the bodiless angel with the typical Byzantine form. I've
seen Nike in Paris and she is clearly an angelic form. Manuscripts were in
circulation quite a bit earlier in Northern Europe and the iconography of
Byzantium well  known to educated people. Dante describes being struck on
the forehead several times by Angels as he travels upward in purgatory and
they may be the first description of motion.

Clearly Dante was widely distributed before the Renaissance so Shakespeare
was building on existing concepts and added a new dynamic quality not seen
much earlier. Anything Italian was hot all over Europe. Angels in victorious
poses over Lucifer go right back into the early days of Christianity. The
Icons of the Russians are faithfully copied from Constantinople. Artists did
not dare play with the established forms until the Italians started with
perspective and dynamics. I can not recall Chinese angels but seem to recall
so pretty extravagant Buddhist figures.

The western European image of Angels is much more sophisticated than the
eastern European images locked into Orthodoxy.

The bearded God is a reference to the seated statue of Zeus but he may go
back much further into Sumerian or Assyrian imagery.
Interesting though following the evolution of fantastical images as new
technology changes the world view.
Angels probably got to Britain very early with Romans and remained static
until the Renaissance. Christian imagery did not get established in north
eastern Europe until nearly 1,000 AD so we Slavs were slow on the uptake.
Even the Vikings jumped on the band wagon sooner than in the east.

I can't recall Herodotus mentioning the angels but all sorts of other
monsters. Cupid had wings and a Bow so maybe the little guy got mixed up
with other images later on. Early Cupid is less than a savory character.

But the wings were always feathered bird like never insect like. Such
spirits are as far as I know African. The leathery Bat wing was reserved for
Satan and Vampyres.  Ray Harryhausen used bat wings for Harpies but I don't
recall if that was traditional.and I suspect it is newer than the Bird wing
image.

It is the art of the fantastic and still follows human progress. It is the
21st century and we still have Monsters in the closets.

I just recalled another variant, Baba Yaga the greatest of all witches with
the house on chicken feet. Stalking the eastern Forests for wandering
children.
Years ago I had an artist in my shop who was studying Iconography. No I
NEVER HAD Angels and Demons 101 as an Arts credit.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax