[Note to Nick: This is Jakob, the economist, brother of
your Tinbergen.]

  There are also a number of misunderstandings
  about mathematics. Sometimes it is
  believed that only certain very simple and
  therefore "rigid" relations are representative
  by mathematics and that reality is more flexible,
  or however it may be expressed. This is
  to underestimate the power of mathematics:
  more advanced mathematics is able to express
  also much more complicated and flexible relations
  and partly to handle them. On the other
  hand it is sometimes forgotten that arguments
  against the most general types of mathematics
  are just arguments against science in general,
  i.e., against the assumption that we can understand
  connections between phenomena - in
  this case economic phenomena - in some general
  way. If determinacy - in whatever loose
  form - is not accepted at all, there is no economics:
  no mathematical economics and no
  literary economics. Perhaps there would remain
  economic novels; personally I would prefer
  other novels then.

(from The Functions of Mathematical Treatment,
J. Tinbergen, The Review of Economics and Statistics,
Vol. 36, No. 4 (Nov., 1954), pp. 365-369)